Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
1 cup dry green lentils (I have also used mung beans)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 bunch kale, chopped
2 cups chopped mushrooms
3 small potatoes
1 tbsp margarine
1/2 cup (soy) milk
1. Peel and roughly cube rutabaga. Poke a number of fork holes into the eggplant. Place in dish or on cookie sheet and bake at 400F ~45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook lentils. When lentils are done, add salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Set aside.
3. Also meanwhile, boil potatoes.
4. Once the eggplant has cooked, take off skin (should peel off easily). Roughly cube.
5. Heat oil in large skillet on stove. Saute garlic and onion for several minutes. Add mushrooms, then kale. Once the kale has wilted, add the eggplant.
6. Once the potatoes are soft, drain pot. Add cooked rutabaga, margarine/butter, and soy milk/milk. Mash or use electric mixer.
7. Assemble casserole in 8.5"x11" dish: first lentils, then veggies, then rutabaga/potato combination. Bake at 400F for 20-30 minutes, really just to heat through and toast the top of the potato mixture.